J'ai travaillé chez A Thinking Ape en Contrat Permanent
- Some smart people doing good work.
- Good perks and pay.
- Current head of HR is super.
- Staff are comfortable and churn is low.
- Very stable company (for games).
- Some interesting problems to solve.
- Possible to learn a lot.
- Nice office space.
- There's some Kool Aid to be drunk about how great the company is. This can lead to complacency and arrogance from the management team.
- Aversion to QA and project management staff, meaning work can be pretty chaotic.
- Crunch is celebrated and teams have burnt-out.
- Product strategy is very safe, which means work can be dull.
- Small company compared to more corporate studios (EA, Microsoft, Kabam) and slower than newer startups in Vancouver. This means slow and capped career growth.
- Some non-standard team structures and job specs can make moving on hard.
- Lots of the staff aren't passionate about the games.
Conseils à la direction
- Be willing to listen to and accept difficult feedback.
- Be cautious about playing armchair psychologist.
- Be bolder in product strategy.